So you’ve got a party this evening? Well, scoot on over, because we know exactly where to source the best hair and makeup ideas – Hollywood, the Town of Tinsel of course. Below, our top picks of looks to steal from the early awards season and year end soirées.
#1 Alison Brie by Mai Quynh and Bobby Eliot
The party: You and your friends booked out that secret bar you love going to whenever you’re in town, and the night is yours.
Year end parties are exactly when to pull out the every stop possible. Molten gold? ‘Tis the season. As a glamorous smokey eye? Why not? Start with wet-look curls for framing the face, held in place with one chic bobby pin. Then add a handsome set of brows, nude lips and a rock & roll metallic shade all over the eyelid, topped with eye gloss. For the final touch, sculpt eyes with dark shadow on the outer corners and blended into the crease.
Recreate Alison’s look
1. Yves Saint Laurent Full Metal Eye Shadow in Gold Source, USD 30
2. Yves Saint Laurent Eye Gloss Smudger, USD 30
3. Nudestix Eyebrow Stylus Pencil & Gel, USD 24
4. Surratt Beauty Artistique Blush in Parfait, USD 32
5. Dior Lip Glow in Matte Pink, USD 34
6. Redken Outshine Anti-Frizz Hair Polishing Milk, USD 14
7. Ouidad Tress Effects Styling Gel, USD 26
#2 Emma Stone by Rachel Goodwin and Mara Roszak
The party: Cocktails with your stylish squad, just driving from one Christmas lights display to the next in your favourite city in the whole world.
This look is the very reason this story exists. I mean, just look at those shimmery silver eyes playing matchy-matchy with the dress! And the berry stained lips to go with all the mulled wine! Make like a professional and offset the the haze of silver with a warm, draped blush and low-key hair.
Recreate Emma’s look
1. NARS Quad Eyeshadow in Silver Screen, USD 52
2. NARS Velvet Lip Glide in Unspeakable, USD 26
3. Clé de Peau Beauté cream blush in Persimmon, USD 60
4. By Terry Crayon Sourcils Terrybly, USD 33.50
5. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, USD 35
6. Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Custom Highlighting Drops, USD 35
7. Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray, USD 39
Claudia Kim by Naoko Scintu and Daya Ruci
The party: It’s snowing outside, your wind-flushed glow looks like you just went skiing, and you even had time to add a dramatic cat-eye flick before arriving.
If you never leave the house without a razor sharp flick, this is the look for you! Do what you do on the daily, but bigger and more theatrical. If in the mood for experimenting? Try sketching the outer half of the eye, like Naoko did on Claudia here, for a graphic touch. For a counterpoint, style hair into a soft halo, teased and pulled-back just so.
Recreate Claudia’s look
1. Chanel Signature de Chanel Intense Longwear Eyeliner Pen, USD
2. Chanel Ombre Premiere in Silver Pink, USD 36
3. Lipstick Queen Nothing But The Nudes Lipstick in The Truth, USD 23
4. Marc Jacobs O!Mega Bronze Perfect Tan, USD 49
5. Burberry Beauty Cat Lashes Mascara, USD 30
6. Kérastase Laque Extrême hair spray, USD 28
Zoe Kravitz by Nina Park and Nikki Nelms
The party: It’s a fancy private soiree in the garden of your holiday villa, or by the beach at sunset. This look carries well from day to night, FYI.
The romantic rose gold look seen at this Fantastic Beasts premiere is easier than it looks. First, pick a gold-flecked pink lipstick in a classic creme. Then on the eyes, select three shades. Start with a mid tone pink all over the lid and a deeper, burnished shade in the socket and lower lash line. Then press metallic gold into the inner corners and blended out with a brush.
Trace your lash line with a dark brown pencil, and finish with a lash curler and volumising mascara. Feel free to add falsies, too, if you have them! Warm up with skin with a glowy bronzer on the high points and tap the cheeks with a rosy blush to tie it all together.
Recreate Zoe’s look
1. Estée Lauder Pure Color Love Rosy Nudes Eye Shadow Palette, USD 41.50
2. Smashbox Photo Finish Radiance Primer, USD 39
3. Becca Be A Light Palette, USD 46
4. Bite Beauty Multistick in Pink Pearl, USD 24
5. Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Foundation Weightless Coverage SPF22, USD 54
6. O&M Frizzy Logic Finishing Shine Spray for hair, USD 37
7. Kevyn Aucoin The Precision Eyebrow Pencil, USD 26